A child who learns to write at Fletching Primary School will develop a passion and curiosity for the craft of writing.
Through studying inspirational writers, they will learn the impact and importance of the written word. Our writing curriculum enables pupils to express their own voice, writing for authentic purposes – to entertain, to inform and to persuade – and is underpinned by rigorous teaching of spelling, grammar and punctuation that will equip them with the skills an expert writer needs in life.
Children regularly practise their handwriting throughout the school. In KS2 children can gain pen licence marks from well presented and neat work.
Useful English websites
We follow a spelling scheme called 'Spelling Shed’; this covers a wide range of the most common spelling rules and patterns, with different rules for each term and each year. Each week the children are given spellings (appropriate for their ability) based on a spelling rule, for example 'words ending in the 'shun' sound (tion, sion and ssion endings).
At home Spelling Shed provides parents:
- A game-like format that helps builds your child’s confidence in spelling
- The ability for your child to create their own weekly word lists
- A full spelling curriculum that is grade-level specific and provides weekly online and offline activities
- Phonics based lists for your early learners
- The ability to track your child’s progress and see what words they are frequently misspelling
You can help your child at home with spelling by:
- Ensuring that they complete their Look, Say, Cover, Write & Check.
- Discussing unfamiliar words with your child.
- Finding other words that fit the pattern or rule for that week.
We use the Jolly Phonics scheme and Phonics bug for phonics and early reading.